Yesterday I had the privilege of presenting to the Texas A&M Chapter of the American Advertising Federation, thanks to my dear friend Andrew Haynes. I had a blast – I LOVE interacting with students – and I think they enjoyed it as well. Below is my presentation I gave – on me, what I do with my degree, and some tips on getting into web for interested students.
Probably the most actionable slide is the one of suggestions for if you are interested in Web. The bottom line is the way I learn best is to get in and do it – so my advice is to take in as much information as possible, and volunteer to get involved at every opportunity!
Tips for students interested in web –
- Groundswell – check out the Groundswell blog at http://blog.groundswell.com
- The Facebook Marketing Bible – a downloadable PDF
- Twitterville – http://twitterville.com
2. Start using these tools
- To build your personal brand
- Volunteer to start a Twitter account and Fan Page for an organization
- Attend Conferences – student tickets are typically inexpensive
- Free webinars – http://schipul.com/en/cev/cmon (previously recorded at vimeo.com/schipul)
4. Follow the trends
- Read blogs like Mashable, Inside Facebook, local companies like Schipul (sorry, I had to plug our blog because I love it!)
- Follow people in the field (beware of social media “experts”)
5. Remember that being young can be an advantage in this field
Thanks and Gig ’em!