This may be easy stuff to those out there for whom databases, coding, file transfer protocol, etc. etc. are easy stuff and not at all slightly frightening. For the rest of the world – even some of us who are well versed in WordPress – the favicon file extension .ico is a bit of a puzzle.
Thank God for WordPress plugins!
If you have a WordPress website, here are a few quick steps to updating your Favicon:
- Install the plugin Personal Favicon from WordPress.org – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/personal-favicon
- Go to the website – http://html-kit.com/favicon/
a. Upload a square image from your computer – it works much better if this image is a perfect square
b. No uploading required if you want to use your Twitter avatar. Just enter your Twitter handle!
- Save the image to your computer
a. Scroll down under “What else can you do” and choose “Download only favicon.ico”
- Upload the favicon to your WordPress Media gallery
a. Go to Media > Add New
b. When you’ve got it uploaded, copy the URL of the file itself
- Go to Settings > Personal Favicon
a. Paste in the file path of the file
b. Choose where you want the favicon to show (on the blog or admin panel or both)
c. Click “Update”