Nerding out (fashionably) with Models, Inc.

As you probably know, I am into both fashion stuff and general nerd stuff. I think I would have equally intense reactions (read: I would probably pass out) if I ever met either Stan Lee or Tim Gunn.

When I saw Tim Gunn on the Daily Show a few weeks ago plugging the new Marvel Comics series Models, Inc. – I knew this was for me.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Tim Gunn
www.thedailyshow.com

Yesterday I picked up Models Inc. at Bedrock City Comics (a fantastic shop on the west side of Houston that just opened a new location in the loop – check them out) – and here are my thoughts:

The Premise:

The comic is a remake of a series created in 1945 called Millie the Model starring Milicent Collins.

Millie the Model - inspiration for Models, Inc.

Models, Inc. covers the adventures of young models – Millicent Collins, and her counterparts Jill Jerold (the ethnic one – British black girl dating Johnny Flame from the Fantastic Four), Chili Storm (the read headed lesbian), Patsy Walker (the alter ego of Hellcat), and Toni Turner (currently nondescript).

The first issue is made up of the first episode in the story and a mini story called “Loaded Gunn” starring Tim Gunn. The two pieces are separated by a center fold of a faux fashion gossip website crashin-fashion.com (which Marvel owns, but disappointingly isn’t really doing anything with).

Models, Inc. Issue 1

The Pros:

1. I love the details. The writers are careful to incorporate both actual designer names and Marvel superhero tidbits into the story. The models discuss what (and who) they’re wearing to an upcoming event, and inquire about how Johnny Flame is in bed to the model dating him. Sometimes the name dropping gets a little too deliberate, for instance when one girl says “you are the best model of all time, except Audrey Hepburn” and another chimes in “And Gemma Ward,” but I appreciate the attempts at realism.
  2. And of course Tim Gunn – his story surrounds his guest appearance at the opening of the Janet Van Dyne (aka The Wasp) wing of the Fashion Museum – which showcases superhero fashion throughout the years. Your typical comic book hullabaloo ensues and Tim has to don the Iron Man suit to clean up the mess. The best part is that his lines,  while somewhat deliberately punny, feel like he had a hand in writing them. And who doesn’t love Tim Gunn in an Iron Man suit?

The Cons:

1. Many of the lines are super corny. My most favorite is the frame where Tim reveals it’s him in the Iron Man suit and someone says “So that’s what they mean by ‘Fashion Police’…” Hardy har har.
  2. Reading the title page, I notice one big thing missing – there are virtually no women involved in this project. I suppose that’s fairly standard in the comic book world, but it still surprises me and makes me wonder if that’s why so many of the fashion references seem awkward. The script is by a guy named Paul, the Editor is a guy named Charlie, Supervising Editor? Mark, Editor in Chief? Joe, Publisher? Dan, Executive Producer? Alan. Not saying that men can’t understand fashion (I mean, Tim Gunn himself is the guru in this case), but it surprises me that a comic about women has so little female involvement. As far as I can tell, the only woman on the list is a woman named Irene Y. Lee. The good news? She’s on twitter @IreneYLee! And she tweets about Tim Gunn!

Models, Inc. Tim Gunn as Iron Man

The bottom line: If you like fashion (especially Tim Gunn), and you like comics, this is an easy call. Totally worth the few bucks each month investment. Otherwise, there may not be a lot (so far – it’s only been one issue) to keep you intrigued. I’m hoping to see even more Marvel universe tie-ins in the future and, of course, more Tim Gunn!

275 Responses to "Nerding out (fashionably) with Models, Inc."

← Older Comments

12. Pingback: gooseberry patch

13. Pingback: symbols of canada

14. Pingback: cheap men Ugg Boots outlet

15. Pingback: Oil Painting From Picture

16. www.robinross.net

August 29, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Another thing I have noticed is the fact that for many people, low credit score is the results of
    circumstances outside of their control. By way of example they may are already saddled with
    an illness and as a consequence they have large
    bills going to collections. It can be due to a occupation loss or maybe
    the inability to work. Sometimes separation and divorce can truly
    send the financial situation in a downward direction.
    Many thanks sharing your ideas on this web site. http://www.bansri.org/infusions/guest_book/guest_book.php,
    åХå

17. Pingback: Purchase Comfy With Uggs Boots | The Online Home of Social Networks News

18. lawn mower best price

March 4, 2014 at 8:13 am

Examiner.com

Like most everything else today, the business enterprise is changing.

Social media and also the internet have revolutionized just how companies ply their trade.

Many of them do not also have a brick-and-mortar store, operating only on

the net. There are plenty of good and services open

to customers, and competition for sales is fierce. If you are considering opening

a small business, there are a whole world of decisions to

produce. Some could be easy, like what small company software to utilize.

And though you could possibly be focusing on big ideas like location, there exists

another decision to generate that’s just like important: your

company name.

One of the favorite honest home based companies right this moment

is performing special occasions videos. If you like like a persons vision behind it camera and obtain one

to use, you could find yourself trading tomorrow.

Seriously, bring to mind each of the special attractions in people’s lives that

they’d like to own on video. Weddings, marathons, club

events, Little League games, retirement dinners,

family reunions are several gatherings that searchers want on video.

You can probably think about tons more. Which is good before you choose

this since the honest home-based business available to you.

Then there’s in reality planning individuals activities as an straightforward residence dependent

business opportunity. Should you might be a detail-oriented person who enjoys

planning to events and dinners, that is an excellent enterprise

for you to enter. This can be another company that you just simply’re more planning to presently have every little thing you will need to come up with started off.

Which implies you may be organizing the first marriage tomorrow!

The group’s hopes were dashed when the initial Honda Dream motorcyclewas seen to be

deficient for the speed and long-distance cruising demandedof America’s roads.

However, the organization had the Honda 50

Super Cub cycle of which the group of males used to run errands.

Surprisingly, the 50somehow roused up curiosity about America.

Other type of furniture material is considered as aesthetic and

timeless unit. It is generally useful for making living area furnishings as units crafted by using it can be extremely sophisticated and elegant.

With great durability and longevity it possesses stylish and unique look.

Original hue of pine itself is so elegant that finishing cost linked to

it really is more affordable when compared with

other furnishings. Exclusive designs may be crafted by it since

it requires less effort to chop and design.

With less maintenance requirement it is used by

making units for example table and chairs, wardrobes,

wall chest, crockery cabinets, TV cabinets and bed side table.

My website … lawn mower best price

19. http://ios8betatest.com

March 9, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Because people are expecting more personalization and Apple is

trying to provide them ful privacy with so

much ease. ‘ Cost: i – Phone devices are not in the reach of every user because they are very sophisticated

and expensive but on the same instant, Android devices are less expensive

and easily available for every user having limited budgets.

Meanwhile for the latest version of their OS, Android 2.

My weblog :: http://ios8betatest.com

20. triche dofus

March 10, 2014 at 3:01 am

In addition, the price of solid wood flooring is a little cheaper,

so parents should pay special attention on the budget.

Kelp could promote metabolism, reduce blopod pressure,

decrease heart fat, break pathosis organization and bring down thee cholesterol concentration.

The talentfs are also wealth and great source in the development

of companies.

my blog – triche dofus

21. http://trichetopeleven.com

March 10, 2014 at 3:03 am

Until then, I’m sticking with tthe brewery I know does itt best.

He is a good singer and if he icks some good songs next time, then he may go far.

The group aims to add towards building the much need communications in tthe country.

My web-site :: http://trichetopeleven.com

22. Http://Clubpenguintriche.Com

March 10, 2014 at 3:03 am

This bfand of stuffed toys is sometimes based on various characters of televusion shows such

as Elmmo that was originally based on a characxter in sesame street show.

The UK Council for Child Internet Safety aare today publishing guidelines on

keeping online environments safe for children. Club Penguin

is one of the snow-covered, free virtual worlds for girls to play games and interact

wuth friends in the guise of colourful penguin.

Feel free to visit my homepage – http://Clubpenguintriche.Com

23. click here

March 13, 2014 at 7:40 am

Your biggest asset is that you know that you don’t know very much annd
    that you want to do something about yourself. If this is you,
    you may want to consider a position that feeds thiks need.
    If you are into surveys, just select the survey which you would like to do, complete it and you will receive your money.

24. get free bitcoin

April 7, 2014 at 4:45 am

It’s going to be ending of mine day, but before ending I am
    reading this fantastic post to improve my know-how.

25. Salvador

April 9, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iphone and tested to see if it
    can survive a twenty five foot drop, just so she can be
    a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views.
    I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

← Older Comments