For Jason’s birthday, he got a shiny red crock pot (how very adult of him). We placed it next to my equally sophisticated Hello Kitty toaster (yes, it toasts Hello Kitty‘s face on your toast and waffles) – and set to work tracking down slow cooker recipes.
Our first exciting dessert recipe was “Easy Chocolate Pudding Cake” from the Rival Crock Pot book “Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes.”
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 1 package fudge cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
- Crushed peppermint candies (we bought starlight peppermints and crushed them with a fork in the wrapper to save on mess)
- Whipped cream (lots!)
- Coat 4-quart crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Place pudding mix in, whisk in milk.
- Prepare cake mix according to package, pour into slow cooker (don’t stir it in).
- Cover – cook on high 1 1/2 hours.
- Spoon into cup or plate, add peppermints and cool whip.
As is par for most of my cooking, it’s not gorgeous, but it tastes awesome!
As Julia Child would say, “Bon appetite!”
For more slow cooker recipes, check out these links:
Victoria especially loved when we put whipped cream on her nose. Apologies for the blurry picture – VB is furiously trying to lick it off her face.